Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eragon, by Christopher Paolini

While I've seen other people reading this book and was curious from time to time, I got this book through sheer luck. One of the people I met through working at Target decided to upend himself from Amherst, MA to go to somewhere in New Hampshire, and he didn't want to burden his family with extraneous items. So he gave all his books to the most avid bookworm he knew, which was me. Eragon happened to be at the top of the stack, out of four large boxes of books.

There was a map on the inside cover. That usually speaks of epic fantasy journeys through this made up map, and I wasn't wrong. Despite opening with three unnamed characters being attacked by villains when they're obviously on a mission, the language narrates in a very leisurely fashion. I guess it would have to, considering that the book is fairly thick. But then I noticed that each chapter wasn't very long at all. And Eragon was described as a simple farm boy, which means that there should be plenty of time for character development. It took a short while before the dragon herself was even introduced.

And then, when shit went down, so to speak, it was a semi realistic confusing mass. The emotions of grief were kind of handled swiftly and efficiently so that the plot can progress. And there was a lot of plot to progress. It was told more or less like a longwinded role playing game, because the protagonist had to train with Brom before anything got done, and Eragon was never really alone. Aside from the dragon, there was Brom and later, Montaugh (probably incorrect spelling) and after him, when they got to the secret hidden rebel base, there was the king of the humans, which was separate from the king of the dwarves, not to mention the elf in the prologue.

This heavily reminds me of either the Dragon Quest series or the Final Fantasy series. Given that the book was written when the author was sixteen, I would assume that's where he got some of his material (from video games). I thought it was also Harry Potter-esque, but it was not nearly as intricate and the list of villains hasn't gotten so long yet.

I read in the back that the book was first published by the guy's parents, and yea, it's all good, but I couldn't help being disappointed anyway. Because I mean, when I write my poems, I have to follow through with a series of hoops, you know, like a cover letter and such and all this other stuff, but the acknowledgments page just made it seem like all the marketing was done by the parents, and Mr. Paolini didn't have to go through this process of sending his manuscript to like a trillion places. Lucky duck.

But all the same, the dragon had strong characterization and so did Montaugh and the politics around Eragon, even though he himself wasn't developed enough to be interesting yet. So I was looking forward to the second book. Which, as I found out today, was also in the same box, so yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment